The best coal tar shampoo for treating dandruff and psoriasis
Polytar Shampoo is a specially formulated thick, antiseptic tar medicated shampoo that soothes the symptoms that are often experienced by people with scalp psoriasis or other skin related conditions, including irritated skin on the scalp, reducing itchiness, scaling, and inflammation.
Coal tar belongs to a class of drugs known as keratoplastics which have mild antiseptic and anti-inflammatory effects which help to alleviate itching. The coal tar gets absorbed into the skin which slows down cell division and stops the cells from multiplying which in turn reduces scaling and thickening of the skin.
Features of Polytar Shampoo
• 4g coal tar solution
• Helps alleviate itching
• Relieves symptoms of skin related conditions
• Can be used to treat psoriasis
Suitable to be used by adults and children aged 12 and over
Warnings and cautions
• Avoid using the product if you are sensitive to any of the ingredients
• Tar products may cause skin irritation, rashes, and rarely, photosensitivity
• If you experience irritation or any other unwanted effects ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice
• Keep out of reach of children
• Can stain skin, clothes and can rarely cause a temporary change in hair colour
Side effects of Polytar Shampoo
• Skin rashes
• Skin irritation
• Increased sensitivity of the skin to sunlight (photosensitivity)
Adults and adolescents - This medicine is for topical application to the scalp.
1. The hair should be wetted and sufficient amount applied to produce abundant lather.
2. The scalp and adjacent areas should be vigorously massaged with the fingertips.
3. The hair should be then thoroughly rinsed and the procedure repeated.
4. Taking both of these shampoo applications into consideration, the total leave on time for the shampoo should be 3-5 minutes.
This medicine should be used once or twice weekly for the treatment of scalp disorders.
Normal duration of use is 4 weeks after which the condition should improve.
Longer duration of therapy should be continued under the supervision of a physician.
Use in the elderly - The dosage instructions given above are suitable for the elderly.
Use in children - Not established for use in children under the age of 12 years.
Coal tar solution 4%(w/w). Sodium Lauryl Ether Sulphate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Disodium Phosphate Dihydrate, Citric Acid Monohydrate, Benzyl Alcohol, Macrogol 150 Distearate, Hexylene Glycol, Oleyl Alcohol, Polyquaternium-10, Fruitier Timotei Fragrance AF17050, Purified Water
Free on orders over £35
£3.95 for orders up to £35
Delivered within 3 to 5 days
Next day delivery
Delivered next working day on orders placed by 4pm
Delivered the following day if orders placed after 4pm
Excludes Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays
Click & collect
Free on all orders
Delivered next working day on orders placed before 3pm (Monday to Thursday)
Orders placed on Friday to Sunday will be delivered on the following Tuesday
Exclusions apply to find out more about our Click & Collect service click here
Free delivery for NHS prescription medicines sent by Royal Mail Signed service
Please note normal delivery charges will apply for non-prescription items in the same basket
Once we have received your prescription it can take up to 48 hours for us to dispense your items, and Royal Mail Signed service can take 3-5 working days
Free delivery for private prescription medicines sent by Royal Mail Special Delivery
Please note all private prescription items have a minimum order value of £7.00
Once we have received your prescription it can take up to 48 hours for us to dispense your items, and Royal Mail can take 3-5 working days
If you're not completely satisfied with your order, you can return it to us within 14 days
Find out more about our returns policy and exclusions click here