Maloff Protect is a form of malaria prevention medication, also known as malaria chemoprophylaxis. Maloff Protect's active substances are Atovaquone and Proguanil 250mg/100mg, which are the leading combination for malaria prevention in the UK.
Both ingredients prevent the production of the P. falciparum parasite, which is the most serious form of human malaria.
Once bitten by a mosquito carrying the parasite, it will enter the bloodstream and reproduce within the red blood cells. However, Maloff Protect will work to:
• Halt the production of substances needed for the parasite to reproduce
• Prevent the action of a compound found in the parasite
It will take up to 7 days for Maloff Protect to kill the malarial parasite after being bitten. However, this is only if the course of medication is completed and taken correctly. Otherwise, you will increase your risk of infection.
Until now, this combination of ingredients for malaria chemoprophylaxis was only available with a doctor's prescription. However, with Maloff Protect
, you can get the same protection direct from your pharmacist, making your travel preparations even simpler.
The 24 pack is perfect if you are travelling for 1-2 weeks. Before you travel, ensure you have enough tablets for the needed dose.
To find out more about malaria prevention, visit the Maloff Protect website
or download the app
Ensure that Maloff Protect is suitable for the country or region you intend to travel to. Keep up-to-date with the latest travel health news at Travel Health Pro .
Take 1 tablet daily with food or a milky drink at the same time each day.
• Start the medication 1-2 days prior to entering malaria endemic area
• Use every day during your stay
• Continue using for 7 days after your return ( to a malaria-free area)
Please note: the maximum duration of travel for which Maloff Protect can be supplied without prescription is 12 weeks (93 tablets). For longer durations of travel, seek advice from your doctor.
• Tablet must be swallowed not
• Continue the medication as normal the next day if you forget to take a tablet. Do not
take 2 tablets together
• If you happen to vomit within an hour of taking a tablet, take another straight away
Warnings and precautions: Like most medicines, Maloff Protect can cause side effects. The most common side effects are:
• Nausea and vomiting
• Abdominal pain
If you experience any of the above, speak to one of our in-store pharmacists or your GP.
Please be aware that sever reactions are rare. However, if you experience any of the following stop taking Maloff protect immediately and consult your doctor:
• Skin rashes
• Itching Sudden wheezing
• Difficulty breathing
• Swelling of the face
• Tightening of the chest/throat
If any of the below apply to you, Maloff Protect
is not suitable and you should speak to a medical professional about other forms of malaria prevention:
• Children and adolescents under 18
• Adults weighing less than 40 kg (6st 4lbs)
• People allergic to any of the ingredients
• Women who are pregnant, breastfeeding or trying to become pregnant
• Patients diagnosed with renal or hepatic impairment
• Patients with a history of depression or seizures
• Patients with tuberculosis
• Patients taking any of the following medications:
- Rifampicin or Rifabutin
- Warfarin or other oral Anticoagulant
- Indinavir, Efavirenz, Zidovudine or boosted Protease inhibitor
• Atovaquone 250mg
• Proguanil 100mg
Free on orders over £35
£3.95 for orders up to £35
Delivered within 3 to 5 days
Next day delivery
Delivered next working day on orders placed by 4pm
Delivered the following day if orders placed after 4pm
Excludes Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays
Click & collect
Free on all orders
Delivered next working day on orders placed before 3pm (Monday to Thursday)
Orders placed on Friday to Sunday will be delivered on the following Tuesday
Exclusions apply to find out more about our Click & Collect service click here
Free delivery for NHS prescription medicines sent by Royal Mail Signed service
Please note normal delivery charges will apply for non-prescription items in the same basket
Once we have received your prescription it can take up to 48 hours for us to dispense your items, and Royal Mail Signed service can take 3-5 working days
Free delivery for private prescription medicines sent by Royal Mail Special Delivery
Please note all private prescription items have a minimum order value of £7.00
Once we have received your prescription it can take up to 48 hours for us to dispense your items, and Royal Mail can take 3-5 working days
If you're not completely satisfied with your order, you can return it to us within 14 days
Find out more about our returns policy and exclusions click here