Millions of people across the country are at risk of developing heart disease. What many people don't realise is that it can often be prevented by taking simple steps to look after your heart. The Cholesterol & Heart Check Service at LloydsPharmacy identifies how likely you are to develop heart disease in the next ten years…and helps you to prevent it.
Who is the service for?
The service is for anyone over the age of 18*, but if you fall into one of the following categories, we strongly recommend that you have a Cholesterol & Heart Check:
- Are you over 40?
- Are you of South Asian or African-Caribbean origin?
- Have any immediate family members – under the age of 55 if male (e.g. brother/father) or 65 if female (e.g. sister/mother) – had heart disease?
- Do you have high blood pressure?
- Are you a smoker?
- Are you overweight?
- Do you have a family history of high cholesterol levels?
- Do you lead an inactive life?
What happens during the service?
We will check your good and total (including bad) cholesterol levels, take your blood pressure, measure your BMI and review your lifestyle, including:
- Whether you smoke
- Your alcohol consumption
- Your activity levels
- Your diet (including the amount of fruit and vegetables you eat)
The results of your check-up will be available immediately and you'll receive a personalised action plan highlighting the simple steps you can take to keep your heart healthy, such as:
You may then be asked to attend a follow-up appointment to assess how you are doing against your action plan.
- Stopping smoking
- Reducing alcohol intake
- Increasing activity levels
- Increasing the amount of fruit and vegetable you eat
- Reaching a healthy weight (this can include gaining and losing weight)
- Monitoring your blood pressure
- Having a medicines check-up if you are taking medication for any other condition
How long does the service take?
It takes around 15 minutes.
Do I have to make an appointment?
In most cases you don't need to make an appointment, the test can be done there and then. Occasionally, at busy times, you may be asked to make an appointment.
Will I have to pay for the service?
Yes, it costs £15.
What do I need to do next?
Visit your local participating Lloydspharmacy and ask for the Cholesterol & Heart Check Service.
Look for this symbol on our store locator.
For more information on cholesterol and heart health, visit our Healthy Heart pages or the British Heart Foundation website.
*Other exclusions apply. Contact your local LloydsPharmacy to find out who is eligible.
Updated: August 2014
Next Review: August 2015
Follow us on: